[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_single_image image=”990″ css_animation=”left-to-right” img_link_target=”_self” img_size=”full”][dt_gap height=”20″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_column_text]
Home Repair and Maintenance: Signs and Causes of Water Damage
Kaufman Homes Home Repair and Maintenance division has done a lot of exterior home repairs resulting from moisture intrusion and water damage. Most all of these problems could have been prevented if they had been discovered early on. The longer these problems exist the greater the damage and the more extensive the home repairs are. I have included a list of items that will help you in your own home inspections. It may be very cost effective in the long run to hire an experienced, reputable and reliable Home Repair and Maintenance company like Kaufman Homes to do an annual or at least a periodic checkup of your home.
Some causes of moisture intrusion and water damage are:
- Missing or loose roofing materials or flashing.
- Window sills or door frames without adequate caulking or weather-stripping.
- Lack of caulking in siding, mortar in masonry, or grout in exterior tile-work.
- Degraded paint on exterior siding or surfaces.
- Overflowing or clogged gutters.
- Gutter drains or downspouts that are not a sufficient distance from the structure.
- Improper drainage slope next to foundation.
- Plant materials too close to the structure or foundation.
- Sprinklers that overspray onto the structure of foundation.
- Non-working interior ventilation systems.
Signs of Water Damage:
- Mildew (blackened surfaces with a musty smell)
- Softness in wood (possible sign of dry rot)
What to do to fix water damage:
If water damage is discovered, the source should be investigated. The homeowner needs to take steps to repair or replace any building parts or materials that allowed the moisture intrusion, and repair the water damage.
Kaufman Homes and our Home Repair Services team would love to help you with whatever projects small or large you have for us. Please don’t hesitate to call 503-370-8390 to schedule an appointment.[/vc_column_text][dt_gap height=”10″][/vc_column][/vc_row]