Although it might be difficult see, we added close to 5 feet of width to the kitchen. Clearly this was a lot of space to work with and we took advantage of that. We completely re-worked the placement of the appliances and made the space and efficiency of the kitchen vastly improve.
In the progression of things we now were ready to remove the old support beam for the original small opening and put in a larger and longer beam to carry the larger opening and its roof load. To remove the old beam we had to support the ceiling/floor joist carrying the upper floor and the main roof load by building temporary support walls on each side of the beam.